Thursday, January 30, 2020

Day 2: Substitute Teachers

Today was my first day in my field experience, and honestly, I really enjoyed working with her. She is a very organized teacher, and she makes life so much easier for field experience. At the beginning of the day, we talked to the students, she introduced me, and then we had our morning circle. During the morning circle, we talked about bullying and how bullying is bad. The school actually has issues with bullying right now, which is why we were on the topic. Aftward, they had a science lesson. The science lesson that I observed was really great. It was more hands-on and the students really were able to stay on task with the use of manipulatives.

Then my CT went out for the afternoon for meetings. That's where it went really bad. The sub the kids had seemed to yell a lot. My CT wanted me to teach their math lesson and also read them a book, but the sub seemed to yell and interrupt more than anything. And the students don't have the respect for me that is needed for me to adequately manage the classroom. I barely had their names down. They wouldn't listen to me when I asked. The students were very rowdy, and it was rough. Next week, I hope to watch my CT more and learn some more of her classroom management strategies.

This week my goal was to learn their names. I think I'm pretty far along with that. I wrote their names down, and I want to get them all down by the second or third week of class!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe! I also had a CT who was absent and I was hoping to see more of their classroom management routines. The classes were also rowdy but I believe it is because their regular schedule was not taking place. The names were a little hard to get down on the first day! I know we will have them down when our actual lessons come around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zoe! I guess most of the teachers from District 163 had meetings because my CT was out too for the afternoon. The students in y classroom acted differently as well and the sub had no time for rudeness she said. I hope next week I can talk more to my CT. Great post!

    ReplyDelete