Friday, January 31, 2020

First Day!

This week I got to experience a full day in a classroom. I was nervous and excited to start our labs but the Principal made me feel welcomed. When I walked into the room all the students seemed excited and the CT mentioned to the classroom that a guess will be coming. I introduced myself as Ms. Liz. My CT was explaining to me that she has been out for a while due to her injury and needs to sit down majority of the time. I helped her by decorating the board outside the classroom. The halls are filled with art in the school I am placed in. I believe artwork is important, especially if it's your student's work. 
In the afternoon, my CT informed me that she was going to a meeting. The classroom had a sub for the remaining afternoon. For some reason, the students acted differently while the substitute teacher was there. Students were not doing their work, continue talking, one student even said to the sub that she was a "nobody" because she told him to stop talking or she will send him to the Principal's office. I tried helping the substitute teacher by going to each table and talking to them and making sure they were on task. Now that I have time to reflect, I believe that the students are not used to change. What I mean is that the sub handed out worksheets that aren't for the afternoon, she did not know the students well enough therefore, she couldn't pronounce names right, doesn't know which child is allowed to walk around because he is autistic, and maybe the homeroom teacher did not give good instructions. All these can be the cause of a child's attitude to change and engage differently. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that is great that you can help her since she just returned from an injury! I also love that the hallways are filled with artwork, that must make the students happy because it is their artwork and that will motivate them to make more if it is being displayed. I am sorry to hear that when the sub came the students were not doing their work and not on their best behavior. Children like to test their limits and unfortunately it happens a lot with substitute teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Liz,

    I also thinks it’s great that you are there Thursday's to help out in the classroom and the decorating sounds like fun! Also my CT told my students about a guest coming to spend the day on Thursday's as well and the students were all very excited. Also, children are adapt to routine and it can sometimes be hard for them to adjust to change thus resulting in their behavior.

    ReplyDelete