Sunday, March 8, 2020

1st Whole Group Lesson

This past week, I had the opportunity to teach my first whole group lesson plan.  I had been in contact with my CT and was looking forward to teaching students about place value.  I walked into the classroom and realized that I would be teaching this lesson on a day that a substitute teacher was in the classroom.  I did not think that this would be an issue, because I am comfortable in this type of setting, considering I'm a substitute teacher on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  However, this substitute teacher was extremely aggressive and the students were not responding well to that type of environment.  I tried my hardest to redirect student behavior and provide extra support in ways the students would respond well to.  I feel like the students responded best when they were spoken to in a respectful manner, which is what I attempted to model.  This experience was very stressful, but it just goes to show that our profession will come with a lot of unplanned circumstances and we will just have to roll with the punches. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin,

    I think that its great that you were able to redirect student behavior, it is always good to find out ways that student would respond to best. By speaking to the students in a respectful manner it can show positive results as they know that they are being acknowledged in a good way. Also it is very true teaching can come with many challenges and its our job to make sure that we get through it!

    Thanks for sharing, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin! I think you learned a lot about how to teach a lesson with a flexible schedule. I think our experience has taught us a lot about classroom management and how to guide students when their regular teacher is not in the classroom. It is good that you modeled respectful behavior to your students because when they see positive actions they are more likely to learn from them than from someone who is not as respectful or values their learning.

    ReplyDelete