Monday, March 9, 2020

Week 7

This week I taught my first lesson. It was my science lesson, and honestly, I thought I did pretty well. The kids absolutely loved my activity because it was hands-on and messy. What kid doesn't love hands-on and messy? I know I don't love hands-on and messy. This had definitely taught me to be more choosey with what messy lessons I allow the students to engage in for cleanup and safety purposed. Having a whole crap ton of spilled water on the floor is not at all safe for the students to be around.

Teaching at the school also made me realize how little time my CT has the students in her class at all. She didn't have her all students in her class to herself for a single lesson, which is a bit ridiculous. The school pulled out students for intervention that didn't need the intervention. Like. Why? It didn't seem to have a rationale that I could explain.

The rest of the day went pretty well aside from the needless intervention for the higher-level students.

The picture attached is a few samples of the student work from my lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed that science is definitely the subject that gets overlooked, along with social studies. In my classroom (at the same school) they pull students out for intervention all day. Typically the interventions have to do with language and literacy, sometimes math. So, pulling during those subjects would make the most sense. Pulling students on the rare occasion that they get a full science lesson is just stunting their development in one subject while helping them in another.

    ReplyDelete