Sunday, March 15, 2020

Small Group Literacy

This week I had the opportunity to facilitate a small group literacy lesson in regards to the reading strategy of chunking words into parts that are already known.  This strategy helps readers decode words that they do not already know.  I believe that my lesson went really well this week.  The main thing that I learned through this experience was to think of additional questions I could ask students, throughout the duration of this lesson, to get them to think of additional ways they could use this strategy.  In addition, I learned that it is important to consider table size, when planning to share materials and that you must plan ahead and think of ways to engage students who may not want to participate in the lesson.  Overall, this teaching experience was a positive experience and I look forward to the next time that I will be able to teach these students.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Caitlin!
    I also had the opportunity to work in a small group. I enjoy teaching my lesson plans because I can reflect later and make changes to my next lesson plan. I like this strategy of chunky words into parts. Especially for ESL and students who need extra help. Great post Caitlin.

    ReplyDelete