Saturday, March 7, 2020

Day 8: Spelling Test and Dr. Seuss


  • By Nadine Hamideh
  • Friday March 6th 2020



Today was a very fun day for the students it was fun Friday and pajama day. I was making up the day that I had to complete due to the half days, so since I couldn’t over spring break I did it on Friday. It was a great experience I got to administer a spelling test, and with this I had to say the word, then make up a sentence for the word and then sound out the word one last time. I also walked around the room to make sure that each student was done before saying the next word. My CT gave me great feedback in regards to how I gave the spelling test as it was the first time I have ever given students a spelling test, and she also told me that I can grade them. I was very impressed with most of the students grades in terms of this spelling test the average out of all of the test was about a 7. This was really good practice for me because it had given me an experience I have never had until now. I learned that it’s very important to sound out the words correctly for students whenever giving them a spelling test because they might spell the word wrong. It is equally as important to put it in a sentence so that they can understand the overall context of the word and that they can comprehend better as sometimes two words may sound the same however are spelled differently and so it’s important to provide some background information on the word. Besides the spelling tests the students got comfy in their pajamas as they watched some Dr.Seuss movies and then wrote letters to their loved ones in their writing journals. My CT explained to me that every Friday the students write a letter to one of their family members, and there is a little space on the bottom for their family members to write a letter back to them. I honestly thought that was just the cutest idea ever and my CT agreed she told me it was a great way for the families to connect with their children over something so simple as a heartfelt letter. I am very happy that I got to help students as they wrote letters in their writing journals and incredibly greatful because this is an idea that I would love to incorporate within my future classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nadine! I'm glad you were able to administer the spelling test and use the words in a context which was understandable for the students. The context in which a word is use is everything, really, and it makes the word mean so much more when its used in a context in which they understand.

    ReplyDelete