Sunday, April 5, 2020

Teaching to Mrs. Bunny!

Teaching this week was strange, for sure. Instead of a class of 26 excited first graders learning about a new math skill, I taught to my oversized stuffed bunny and my brothers huge stuffed turtle... also referred to as Mr. turtle and Mrs. bunny. My mom was highly amused by my classroom set up - as was I. I did not have any thoughts about what teaching to a laptop and inanimate objects in my bedroom might actually feel like, and that was deliberate - I am more of the "it is what it is so just do it" type. During my teaching, there were a few points where I though it was a little too odd. I had to answer questions for the animals so that the viewers knew what possible answers might be given. I had to hold up manipulatives in front of my camera that I would have projected on the white board - and my manipulatives were made out of construction paper because I did not have the real thing! The worksheet that I intended to write on under the projector... I held it in my hand the whole time. I found myself trying to write on it while holding it a few times, only to remember that my "students" could not follow along with what I was trying to write in the air anyway.  Overall, I do not mind teaching like this. We are all in the same boat in this way, and it is something we will eventually laugh at. And when we end our lessons, we can laugh at ourselves too. At least we will have the smartest stuffed animals and dolls around!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaylie,

    I loved your post, it was honestly so cute and your lesson sounded pretty fun. I love the idea of talking to the stuffed animals, I also did that mine was Mr. Minion and Mr. Pooh! And I know these are circumstances we wouldn’t ever even imagine we would be but it is something we all are going through and we just have to make the best of it. And yes we will laugh about this one day, it’s a story to tell!

    Thanks for sharing, Nadine

    ReplyDelete