Saturday, April 11, 2020

Virtual Teaching


Virtual Teaching


My last blog was about the new change we are all facing. My semester is almost to close the end and we been doing online. For our field experience (labs) we are still teaching lessons. I have taught two whole lessons. My first one was based on literacy and my topic was on poetry. I had to teach my lesson virtually through zoom and my professor and two of my colleagues were observing me. If I can be honest, I did not perform my best when teaching my literacy lesson. It felt different not being able to teach in front of a classroom full of second graders. I wasn’t able to use higher-order thinking questions and spoke with less confidence. My second lesson was on science and the topic was simple machines. I felt more confident in this second lesson and I used my imagination to its fullest. I decided to pretend that my kitchen was a classroom and I was going to teach my lesson to my plushies (my students). I appreciate my professor’s feedback and my peers as well. I am doing better with this whole crisis. I have decided to take it day-by-day and split my school work into chunks.

Evaluation and Determining Impact - Collaboration Primer Framework

2 comments:

  1. In Response to Liz,

    I really like your idea to split school work into chunks. I feel like it can sometimes feel overwhelming if you look at all that is left to do, rather than what you have to do that specific day or that week. I feel like this new strategy will be good for you. I also liked how honest you were in regards to your feelings about virtual teaching. I believe that, like most things, it gets easier the more that you do it. I look forward to the day we can be in the physical classroom again, but until then, I feel like it is best we stay optimistic about the situation we are in.

    Thanks for Sharing,
    Caitlin Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I think it's great that you are finding what works best for you it's important to separate your work so you don't wait until the last minute. I think the more we practice and the more we teach the easier it will become!

    ReplyDelete