Sunday, April 5, 2020

Well, this is awkward!


  • by Amnah Hzaiyen
  • Sunday, April 5, 2020

This week I taught my first small group lesson; my literacy small group lesson, to a stuffed animal! I was very nervous and unsure of my teaching performance prior to my teaching time on Thursday. With the amount of times I had practiced for this lesson, it was difficult for me to feel confident teaching it since there were not students in front of me. I used a stuffed animal from the movie Rio, which was pretty cute. However, the little stuffed bird could not talk or move so it was difficult for me to ask questions and pretend she was real. Truly took me on a trip back to my childhood when I used to play with stuffed animals! Times have definitely been very difficult and rough. It has been very hard for me, like many other college students around the world, to adjust to this new way of learning we are involved in. Never thought I would say I miss waking up early to go to school and work, and take those long ride to get there! As difficult as it has been, I am thankful we are still able to complete the semester in every way possible. Props to all the teachers out there sticking by our sides and ensuring we finish the school year strong! You all rock! (I really hope you see this Dr. Kelly and Dr. H.!) As crazy as it all is, a part of me is thankful we are going through this experience right now. We now know what it is like if life was to just hit us with the realities it has and schools were to shut down. We can all get through this, and it WILL end. Keep on pushing through everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amnah!
    I too felt strange teaching my whole-group lesson this week. I didn’t use plushies for my lesson but maybe I should have. I asked questions during my lesson but weren’t higher order thinking questions. My house if full with thirteen individuals not to mention myself and my two pups. During my lesson my dog was playing with his squeaky toy and it honestly made me lose my concentration of thought. I was so embarrassed but I knew he didn’t know better. It just didn’t go the way I wanted it to go.
    I know many of us college students are trying our best to finish the semester but you are right Amnah – our educational professors are trying their best to help us go through this as well as they are too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amnah,
    I also taught my small group reading lesson! It was definitely different but too make it a little less awkward, I used students name and it did seem as realistic as it would be in the classroom. I am glad that we are still able to continue the semester and we will get through this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amnah,
    I also taught my small group reading lesson! It was definitely different but too make it a little less awkward, I used students name and it did seem as realistic as it would be in the classroom. I am glad that we are still able to continue the semester and we will get through this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amnah,

    I really enjoyed reading your optimism, in this difficult time. While we all wish that this was not happening, there are benefits to it. Most specifically the fact that our job is always changing and we need to learn how to be flexible professionals. I feel like this is preparing us for that in a sense. Thanks for bringing light to this situation.

    Thanks for Sharing,
    Caitlin Miller

    ReplyDelete