Sunday, February 23, 2020

Calm Classroom

Caitlin Kurtz
Sunday, February 23, 2020

On Thursday during my class, my teacher had noticed that some students were acting out and having attitude with everything that was going on in the classroom. During specials, the teacher had explained to me that the students that were performing these behaviors usually are his students who show positive behavior and good examples for everyone else in the classroom/ He was giving me tips with what to do when these situations arise in the classroom and the two strategies he uses his calming corner and a calming classroom. Right before lunch, I had noticed the entire class was getting angry with one another and everybody had a comment to something. My CT started to hand out lunch detentions to these behaviors but then realized that is only going to solve the problem for a short time. He then realized the class needed a time to just lay their head down and listen to soothing music with the lights off which he refers to the calming classroom. After lunch, the students came in laid their head down, lights off, and listened to the soothing music for 15-20 minutes. I found this very beneficial because it allowed for students to recollect themselves, and regulate their emotions. My CT communicated with class dojo to notify parents this was going on and to make sure their kids are going to bed at night at a reasonable time. I would find this challenging because as a teacher you don't know circumstances happening at home and only can control what happens at school. I thought this was a great activity to incorporate in the classroom when needed.

1 comment:

  1. That is great that your CT was giving you tips on what to do when those situations arise. This will help you when you have your own classroom, and it allows you to see a variety of behaviors and how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete