Monday, February 3, 2020

Week 1

For my first week in my first grade classroom, my CT was out for meetings all day and the students had a substitute teacher. The schedule was also changed, I believe to accommodate other teachers who were only out for half of the day. The substitute did not know that I would be there. I introduced myself and told her that I was a student from governors state and that I was there to observe or help her with whatever she needed. She was very sweet although she never asked for assistance despite my offer.

I was able to learn a lot about the students. During technology time, some of them wanted to show me what they were doing. They weren’t supposed to be talking so I had to find the balance between listening to what they wanted to share but not having an entire conversation. This was the only time that the substitute asked for my assistance in getting the students onto the right website.

At the end of the day the teacher ran out of activities so she allowed the students to listen to music, dance, and talk. For the last 10 minutes most of the students were circled around me asking questions and very excitedly sharing  about themselves.

Even though I did not get much time to work with the students on day 1, I did get to start building a relationship with them. They were excited When I told them that I would be there every Thursday and even more excited when I told them that I would be able to teach them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment