Friday, February 14, 2020

Day 3; Interactive Math

Today was a half day so the day was very hectic. My CT did not have much planned due to being in meetings all day the day prior. The one thing he did have planned was interactive math. The students were learning adding three digit numbers. It was a much different way than when I learned how to add three digit numbers. For example one of the problems was 133+ 371=______. The students would have three columns: hundreds, tens, and ones. The student would then take a number such as 133. they would draw three circles in the ones to represent 3 ones, 3 circles in the tens to represent 30, and 1 circle in the hundreds to represent 100. Then they would do the same for the next number. Once they had both numbers split up correctly, they would count all of the ones and write the number it totaled, count the tens and write the number it totaled, and count the hundreds and write the number it totaled. This is how they got their answer. The challenging part of this was if the circles added to be more than 10 because the students had a hard time with remembering to group them and move them to the next box and add another circle to represent that number. I know in my classroom, I would teach them this way due to assessing the students on able to add this way. I know in my classroom I would allow the student to add the numbers anyway they felt comfortable as long as they can get the right answer. This may be difficult because I need to know what students can get the concept of the columns and what students are still struggling with it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Caitlin! That is a very interesting way to add three digit numbers, I’ve for sure never seen that method used before. This goes to show how important our field experiences are to expose us to different methods and styles of teaching and to show that you can teach the same thing in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete