Thursday, February 6, 2020

Day 2: 100 day of School



  • By Nadine Hamideh
  • Thursday February 6, 2020



Today was my first full day in 1st grade, and I sure loved it. Yes, there was a lot going on today being the ice cream social and the students had to go to their performing arts center but it was great. The students started off by completing their morning work, they then worked on reading both: whole group and small group. My CT then informed me that today even though it was the 102nd day of school, they were going to work on the 100th day of school activities and centers. So after reading the students worked on 100 day banners, where they were to write about what they learned so far in 1st grade and make it colorful. For this task, my CT asked if I can work one on one with one of the students because the student had a little trouble with writing. Working with the student was great, I was able to learn a bit from the student as she did me. Then after that I helped with decorating and hanging up the banners they made, which they were totally excited about. When it came time for the 100th day activities, I was able to work with small groups and basically conduct the activity and explain to them which was great. The students really seemed to enjoy the 100th day activity I was working on with them, and it was also a good learning experience for me as it gave me an idea of what a small group lesson might be like. However, after about 20 minutes of working on these activities some of the students began to have some behavioral issues due to the lack of communication and/or sharing. My CT informed me that when it comes to behavioral management in her class she always used the behavior clip chart, meaning if a student misbehaves they move their clip down and up depending on their behavior. If that doesn't work, like it didnt today with one of the students, who just threw a tantrum and yelled as well as pushed a student. The CT will pull the student outside, or tell them to cool down and read a book. However, if that doesn't even work she simply takes the student down to the principal's office. All in all, it was a great experience and I learned a lot in terms of behavior management from my CT. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine,

    I am so happy that you're enjoying your experience and learning a lot! The 100th day celebration is always engaging and exciting for the kids. Were you taking charge of the classroom as your CT took the other student misbehaving out of the room? I like the idea of having the student separated from the group and taking a second to read and calm down before coming back into the stimulating environment. Classroom management is huge and I hope we both learn a lot each week.

    ReplyDelete