Friday, February 21, 2020

Week 4 - literacy things

This week was another crazy one. The whole school had practice for their music program which took about an hour in the morning. My class had a substitute for the first 1/3 of the day followed by the assembly where my CT came in halfway through. Then the students went to lunch. After lunch, the principle called all first graders into one room to give the teachers a 20 minute plan period. Overall the only learning part of the day was about two hours at the end where they did literacy and math. In literacy I was able to see the student learn how to compare and contrast two stories that they have been reading for at least a month. They use these two stories for most of their literacy lessons and have become very familiar with them. The teacher used a ven diagram for this activity. I was amazed at some of the ideas that the students came up with. They covered characters, setting, theme and outcome in their answers. The teacher wrote all of their answers in the ven diagram on the easel. I know that this lesson was incomplete although I am not sure what they will do with it in the next few days.
My CT asked me if I’d like to do a read aloud with the students next week and come up with a beginning, middle and end activity for them, since this is another literacy skill they are working on. So, next week I will be doing a read aloud of “If you Bring a Mouse to School” followed by a sequence activity. I’m looking forward to seeing how the students respond to me as their teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment