Friday, February 7, 2020

Week 2- Small group literacy

This week was my first full day with my CT in the classroom (after the morning mishap at least) . I started off with going over information from the morning announcements after circle time as I waited for my CT to arrive in the room. I had the students reflect on the announcements and I created a web map that included their ideas of how they could change the world. I was impressed with the different ideas every student came up with on how they would change things. I think I did well with having all kids voices be heard as I used different techniques such as turn and talk and brainstorming time. I loved seeing the passion in their voice as they shared their ideas.

For the literacy portion of the day I can say I learned a lot through the small group as I was the one actually working with the kids at that station. The kids were broken into 4 different groups and all assigned to a different center, I learned that my CT groups my kids based on their DRA levels as they rotate around in groups together. The students are grouped with people who are close to the same DRA levels. I always thought it would be beneficial to have a mix of levels working together but after working with the small group at the table I can see why that may actually be complicated. I worked with the students as we reviewed one of their books from the week prior and that consisted of the kids whispering silently to themselves and having them start reading at all different times to ensure kids were not coping off one another. I called on 1 of the 4 at a time to read out loud to me to check their understanding. I then introduced a new story to them that they have never read before. I learned a lot through the checklist that my CT gave me to follow as I work with the small group. I also learned their procedure for reading, such as the words that both teacher and student are familiar with when trying to take action and solve words within the story.  I thought this chart was very helpful for the students and guided them to figure out the word such as the rule, lips the fish which means get your mouth ready; say the beginning sound. I have included a picture of this chart below and would recommend using it during your small group.



2 comments:

  1. I think that is great you were able to hear different ideas from each student. I think you incorporated great techniques as you were teaching the web. I was thinking the same thing as you, I thought you would want a mix of students of all levels in groups together. I like the idea of putting them in the same groups as their DRA level though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is an awesome experience for you to be able to experience instruction of small literacy groups. I think that is an interesting way of grouping the students because a lot of groups I see in classrooms including mine is a mix group of students with different reading levels.

    ReplyDelete