Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Tuesday, 2/25, literacy lesson

In field experience this week, my cooperating teacher asked me to do a read aloud for 20 to 30 minutes with the book “if you bring a mouse to school”. She wanted to give me the opportunity to teach a lesson before I started teaching my own lessons. During the lesson, I asked students questions about the words and pictures. The real point of the read aloud was to be able to identify the beginning, middle, and end of the story and summarize it, since these are skills that the students have been working on. This activity went well. With support, the students were able to provide complete sentences for the beginning, middle, and end of the story. This led into a writing activity that the students have been working on for a while also involving beginning middle and end. For my activity, I used a sequence chart and asked the students to help me fill it in. This is the same format that the students have been using for other sequence activities. I have attached a picture of the chart that I made. I think this was a great opportunity for me to use students names as well as to see how long they stay engaged with an activity like this.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your lesson went really well! Your lesson sounds like it was developmentally appropriate for the grade level, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kaylie! How exciting that your CT is helping you out by teaching the classroom. When we pick good read aloud books we are helping students understand what they read. The strategy you did on a big sheet of paper is a great visual. You are focusing on the story's beginning, middle, and end. Hope your next lesson goes as smooth as this one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete