Monday, February 3, 2020

Week 1 Reflection


I was very nervous for my first day in Field Experience, especially since I was in third grade. I am not used to being around that age group since I’ve had most of my experience with children in kindergarten and under. My CT made me feel very welcomed and provided me with more than I can ask for to prepare myself for the semester. I first met the students and introduced myself at the beginning of the day. I then followed the students to their math class and observed them working on finding the area of rectangles. We then went to their social studies and science class. I only seen their science portion of the day where they were working on classifying different animals in different habitats. We didn’t have a social studies lesson because the students had to go to an art class for about 20 minutes. The students then had lunch, and afterwards had reading and writing. During reading and writing the students were working on comprehension and understanding of an article they read to practice for their state test coming up. I ensured to let the students know that I was there to help them when they needed assistance. Although I wanted my first day in field experience to be strictly observational to learn about the students and how their day works, I did step in to assist them when they needed it. I assisted them when they had questions regarding the questions to the article they read. As well, afterwards they worked on their daily journals where I answered a lot of questions the students had. My first day turned out a lot better than I had expected. I was nervous as I had mentioned, but I was also very excited. Seeing how excited the students were to have me for the semester made my first day a lot better than I could had imagined. My CT has been giving me tips and guiding me on how to control classroom management and how to best approach my lessons to the class. I am excited to get to know the students more and conquer my first day being a teacher for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment