Friday, February 21, 2020

Classroom Managment


I noticed my CT rearranging the desks in the classroom and she explained how lately the students have been misbehaving in the hall, lining up, music class, and cafeteria. She also explained how embarrassed she is when a substitute teacher goes in her classroom because they always leave a note on the misbehaving. My CT has class Dojo and she always gives points to the students who are behaving and following the rules. That strategy doesn’t work anymore she said. She decided to put names up at the board if a student did not follow the rules and if their name is on the board the consequence is missing recess for 5 minutes. There is one student who always interrupts the classroom and she gives him a 5-minute break to reflect on his actions. My CT doesn’t know what else to do and asked if I had any suggestions on classroom management. I am new to this but I did mention to my CT how maybe she should punish some students and not the entire classroom. Only because some students were paying attention and doing their work independently. I also suggested giving the class a choice. For instance, if they are working as a group but are too loud, I would say “Do we want this activity to be in groups or independently work since we can whisper?.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz,
    Wow, you were really put on the spot this week, I wouldn’t haven known what to say. I think you gave her some good suggestions though, especially with giving choices. In that case, after a few times of not being allowed to work together based on their own decision to be loud or not do their work, I think the students would start to realize that their ability to work together is in their hands. I can see why class DoJo might not work for them. Since parents can see the points I think it really needs to be praised at home for it to be effective. Otherwise the students don’t get too much out of gaining points. Or losing them for that matter. Hopefully your CT finds a strategy that works for her group!

    ReplyDelete