Monday, February 24, 2020

Whole group math/adapt to change

This week was still not a set routine of their daily schedule. The students were spending most of the morning preparing for their black history performance that was taking place on Friday. I think the students not being able to follow a consistent routine makes it hard and they lost out on a lot of instruction time. The students were all riled up and it took time for the students to settle down. During the plan period, I asked my CT if I could teach the whole group math lesson for the day to get some more experience and work with the students directly in preparation for my observed lessons to follow. My CT gave me the teachers work book and told me the lesson they were on and went from there. It was an interesting experience to plan a lesson on such short notice and work through putting something together in order for the students to understand. I worked on my lesson plan during my lunch time. I took into consideration the different learning personalities in the room and the different strategies that i've seen my CT use while teaching her whole group math lesson. I was a little nervous because of the lack of time for preparation but it put into perspective that I need to be ready for random schedule changes and to have back up plans in place for all subject areas. I called all the students to the smart board with their workbooks. I shared key vocabulary and asked them questions about greater than and less than which helped guided them into our concept of the day of sequencing numbers by greater than or less than. I demonstrated a problem for them and then had students work independently and then put their answers on the board while explaining to the entire class what they were doing as they worked through the problem. In between my lesson, the kids had an additional schedule change . The principle called all 1st grade students to one room for another talk about their performance. It was difficult to get the kids back on track after that transition because they were only exposed to half of the lesson and then taken out so the rest of the lesson had to be rescheduled for the next day.  I learned to adapt to the change and be ready for anything that is thrown my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment