Thursday, February 20, 2020

Day 4: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind


  • By: Nadine Hamideh
  • Thursday February 20, 2020


Today was a very fun day for the students as there was an assembly. The students started the day by completing their morning work and then waited until they were called down to the assembly. My CT then told me that I can read them all a book, so I read them the book called "The boy who harnessed the wind" and they all loved it. All the students participated and were engaged, I asked many thought provoking questions and they all gave great responses. My CT told me that this would be great practice for when it comes to actually performing my whole group lessons. She informed me that its key to ask questions throughout a read- aloud to get students thinking and engaged, so she really liked how I was able to incorporate many questions on the spot. After the book was finished, many of the students began telling me that they are so happy that the crops got water, and that the main character was so brave, as well as their favorite parts throughout the story. It was a great read and the students loved it. After that it was time for the assembly, and students were very excited for that, after the assembly finish the students came back to the classroom and began working on their writing journals. My CT also explained to me a great learning strategy that she likes to incorporate within her class, being Think-Pair-Share and while they were writing out their writing journals, she had students think about what they want to write and write about it individually and then had them pair up and share their writing journal entry with a buddy. I thought this was a great strategy and I will surely incorporate it in some of my future lessons. The students went to lunch and when they got back they practiced number bonds and addition equations. My CT then put me with another small group and had me go over the math equations with the students. It all was just a great experience and can not wait to see what comes next!

Image result for the boy who harnessed the wind

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you are getting the experience of what it will be like to take control and teach your lesson. We can never have too much practice. I like how your CT is giving you tips and strategies to use because it might be a strategy you didn't think about using before.It's great to see the strategy being put to use rather than just being told about it because you can better implement it into your lesson plans after visually seeing it being used. I think keeping the students engaged throughout a lesson is a big deal and asking questions throughout keeps them focused because they never know when they'll be called on.

    ReplyDelete