Saturday, February 29, 2020

Day 5 and 6

By Elizabeth Gonzalez

Day 5

This week I attended Field Experience twice. On Tuesday, the students were all surprised to see me there but excited. They asked why I was there if it's not Thursday. My response was "I just enjoy being with you guys so much I decided to come in today." Throughout the day I had a bunch of hugs. I was nervous and excited when my CT asked if I can help two students who struggle with writing. The students were paired in twos and they both had to come up with a story using as many vocabulary words. The two students I had are below level and struggle with writing and reading. Before starting to write, I asked what ideas did they have to start the story. This is a team project so we must work together, I said. We had a few challenges since the two students did not like working with each other. They each took a turn writing one sentence but we made sure it made sense since and went with our story. The students used a total of six vocabulary words out of eleven. I used a mini whiteboard to help with the writing. If they did not know how to spell a word I would tell them what letter do you think it starts with and to sound out the word. I am glad that I had the opportunity to work with these two students because it gives me a view of those students who face academic challenges and may feel overwhelmed in the classroom. By working in small groups or one-on-one the teacher can break down the assignment and/or can modify it. 


Day 6 

Today is the day where I teach my first lesson. I taught my whole group math lesson. My lesson was on coins. My objectives for this lesson were 1) recognize the name of coins, value, and count up their total, 2) add and subtract using strategies learned, and 3) solve word problems involving different types of coins and use the cent symbol. Although I lost my voice and I was sick, my classroom did a great job of being respectful. I told them at the beginning that I was sick and I can't speak up, therefore, they must listen and not talk to their neighbors. The majority of the students did a great job of knowing their coins and their value. I was surprised at how well they did in their IP activity. The IP activity I made a worksheet that involved solving for mix coins and word problems. As I walked around observing the students, I saw a few students who were circling or underlining keywords on their word problems. Once done, I explained the importance of the use of money and how we need it to buy things. I thank the class for being well behaved. At the end of the day, the students told me that I did a great job teaching in front of my teacher and to drink lots of water so my voice can come back. These kids bring joy to my day and made me smile when I wasn't feeling my best. 





1 comment:

  1. In Response to Liz,

    I'm glad you were able to help students develop their writing skills. It sounds like they really benefited from your assistance. In addition, it sounds like your lesson went really well. It's always nice to see your students behaving well, especially when you're not feeling the greatest.

    Thanks for Sharing,
    Caitlin Rich

    ReplyDelete