Saturday, February 1, 2020

First day of field experience

My first day of field experience was very different from what I had expected. The students started the day doing writing journals where they wrote about a prompt on the board. The students were all at different paces because students were coming in late or just not wanting to do the work. I was able to see how my CT went about this situation and it helped me to think about myself in that situation and how to best handle it. After completing their writing journal the CT was telling me they are doing a newer reading curriculum so she is still trying to get the hang of it. One of their goals is that the students have to be able to form and answer questions so before the story the teacher had everyone come up with a question about the cover. This was a great way to get everyone involved and thinking. The students asked and answered questions throughout the story keeping them engaged the whole time which is something we were taught to do. After reading the students separated into centers where they independently completed the centers there were centers such as reading to a peer, using razz kids, reading fluency, etc. As I walked around it was very interesting to observe the students different reading and writing levels. I was able to take some pictures of the different centers. One student even asked me if he could read to me which was very welcoming to me that they felt comfortable enough to read to me. My CT had warned me about different behavioral issues throughout the classroom and as soon as the substitute came into the room you could see the change in the students work ethic. The students aren't used to the substitute and how they handle the classroom. I think that because the CT wasn't there they felt like they could take advantage of the substitute and get away with not doing their work. Throughout the classroom my CT had posters and sheets of paper of what the standards were, classroom rules, ways to ask questions, and the classroom schedule. The students used these posters when asking questions to learn how to ask a question and how to ask it in different ways. Overall, it was a great first day and I can already tell I am going to learn and grow so much as an educator.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kiley! It sounds like you had a really great first day at your field experience! From the sound of it, your CT has a lot to show you, especially in terms of how she groups her students. Also, it's good to see how the students levels are because it will be easier to differentiate in your lesson plans once you understand where they are at. You'll be able to group them how you want to to ensure that they students are meeting your objectives in the most effective and meaningful way possible!

    ReplyDelete