Thursday, February 13, 2020

Day 3: Math Centers

Rachel Sebastian
Thursday, February 13, 2020

Today was a half day for the students so it was not a typical day for them. In the morning my CT was getting her different groups ready for math centers. My CT put me with the triangle group and I had six students in my group. In my center the students were working on addition problems that equal 2 digit numbers from 10 to 19 and using cubes and base ten blocks to help them. For example: The students addition problem was 9+4=____. The student would have to use the cubes to make 9 and 4 and then add them together to see what the answer would be. Then out of those cubes the students would have to count out 10 and replace it with their base 10 block. The student would then make another number sentence 10+3=13. One of the most challenging aspects about this was that this was a review for the students and some of them were flying through it and did not want to do it anymore or lost interest. Now I know when I am in my own classroom, I will make sure to have a different activity working on the same concept that a student can move onto if they are mastering it right away. I think this will still be difficult for me because I am still trying to learn all of the students levels and where they are at. I will need to work more on working with the students as a group instead of helping each one individually. I noticed once I start helping a student one on one then the other students get off task.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to hear about your math center experience, I have not been able to see math centers in my classroom yet. It sounds like it could have been fun because it is hands on, but I see how it could be rough to keep them engaged if the students find it too easy. My class is working on place value and they use the unit cubes as well, but my CT changes up the way that they use the blocks at least 3 times in a lesson so that they do not get bored. Hopefully it is noticed that the students in your room have the concept down using the unit cubes and they will be given a new activity for that center to keep them interested.

    ReplyDelete